Although it is true that some of the most well-established terrorist organisations tend to mirror organised crime and money laundering techniques, there are many misconceptions around the level of innovation, involved mechanisms and detectability of these activities.
Jessica Davis is the President of Insight Threat Intelligence and in today’s episode, she deep dives into the world of terrorist financing, what we are lacking to detect this type of crime, and how terrorist financing activities differ depending on where bad actors are operating.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- How Jessica got into the world of CTF
- Why AML gets more attention that CTF
- How AML and CTF differ in terms of scope, mechanisms involved and detectability
- Why Jessica wrote ‘Illicit Money Financing Terrorism in the Twenty First Century’
- How terrorists manage, use and hide their illicit money
- What trends she has seen evolve in terrorist financing
- Terrorist’s real use of cryptocurrencies
- What technologies the financial sector is leveraging to combat terrorist financing
- What we need to know about insider threats
- Other resources financial institutions can deploy to track terrorist financing.