Sherbir’s experience in defending multinational companies and conducting internal investigations in matters involving criminal and regulatory proceedings has earned him the reputation of a “brilliant lawyer” and an “amazing problem solver”.
These matters have involved allegations of bribery and other misconduct under Indian and foreign anti-corruption laws such as the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, U.K. Bribery Act; financial and regulatory fraud; procurement fraud; infrastructure fraud; violation of sanctions laws; and violation of corporate governance and corporate policy norms.
Today’s episode is a deep dive into corporate white-collar crime and compliance and governance issues by one of the best experts in the field.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- Sherbir’s background and the work Panag & Babu is doing
- How legal systems and law practice have evolved in India over time
- How disruptive economic events lead to corporate criminal misconduct and changes in compliance policies and procedures
- India’s approach to money laundering cases compared to other countries
- Reasons behind the low rate of global white-collar crime convictions
- The awareness shift on compliance and governance matters that’s occurring among corporate leaders
- Practical advice for senior and corporate management